Trend forecasting company WGSN announced three major womenswear trends for Autumn/Winter 2019-20 during a trend talk at CENTERSTAGE, a fashion fair held from September 5th to 8th by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council. Dubbed “Free Style,” “Purpose Full” and “Light Magic,” the three trends provide insights into what’s up-and-coming in the ever-changing fashion world. Here’s a sneak peek!
Emphasizing the juxtaposition of pretty and tough, this youthful trend is all about moving from brash elements to a more sophisticated style with a sporty streetwear touch.
• Crop tops and tracksuits in opulent and feminine fabrics like satin and velvet, or with glamorous details.
• Technical sports jackets and puffer jackets, in different colors or patterns like Burberry checks and florals.
• Base layers like long-sleeve tees in soft, stretchy fabrics such as rayon can be worn as the topmost layers. These are detailed with ribbing, piping, zippers, and hoods for a more sporty and contemporary appeal.
• Activewear in jersey or quick-drying materials, with sporty ruching created by drawstrings and elastics to give the designs a DIY element.
• Tailored suit jackets with a sporty style to create looks reminiscent of the 1980s.
• The classic crepe shirt is updated with unexpected details like oversized sleeves, shoulder cutouts and back-to-front styles.
• Bold, bright and youthful.
• Luminous pastels and fluorescent colors placed against mid-tones.
• Red accompanied by bits of pink.
Advocating a “back to basics” and “less is more” principle, this style suggests a slower pace of life by embracing craftsmanship and timeless styles.
• Shift dresses made in substantial materials such as denim, corduroy or suede, to be layered with tights, sweaters or shirts.
• V-neck retro knits in simple designs but with a focus on colors and materials. Quality yarns in pastels or mid-tones can be used, with ribbing or raw finishes.
• Oversized silhouettes with a focus on softness. Stripes in the style of Donna Karan from the 1990s, as well as checkered styles, take these into the pajama category.
• Overalls, jackets and cargo pants can easily be styled up or down. These can come in denim or twill, and with raw or washed finishes.
• A-line skirts crafted in wool, denim, corduroy or in checks take us back to the 1970s.
• Trucker jackets are updated with bolder colors, a cropped bodice and chunky details. Key elements from the design are reshaped or resized for a more fashionable look.
• Duffel coats in dark wool, detailed with fancy fastenings.
• Comforting and inspired by the mid-century.
• Dominated by autumnal colors like rich browns.
• Gen Z Yellow will replace Millennial Pink.
A swing back to the mystical and unpredictable, this trend focuses on dark romance and gothic themes through simple silhouettes but dramatic detailing.
• Witch’s sleeves that flare at the wrist and taper at the shoulder, with splits or pleats to accentuate the flare. Structured fabrics and wider armholes create a more sculpted look.
• Detachable romantic cape collars in shirting, dresses, and outerwear.
• Free-flowing empire lines create dramatic movements with a looser bodice, crafted from neutral-hued lightweight fabrics that don’t cling to the body.
• Dark dandy style will come into prominence after all the athleisure hype. Badges and embellishments offer a youthful touch, while unexpected trims and fabric inserts result in a more sophisticated and deconstructed look.
• Structured hourglass dresses in midi or maxi lengths channel femininity with floral prints, lace, velvet, and soft shoulder pads.
• Knots at the neckline or waist add elegance to satin blouses, jackets, and dresses.
• Fluted ruffles add a feminine flair to simple outfits.
• Clashing bright tones and neutrals are used to create drama.
• Dark and magical.
• Neon green or red.
WGSN also listed the following items which will be on the rise:
Hybrid shirt / Tie-side blouse / Pajama shirt / Minimalist shift top / Shacket shirt / Reworked shirt / Flounce blouse / Zip-through tunic
Button-front A-line / Retro utility mini / Asymmetric corduroy / Minimalist skort / Modest maxi / Knotted midi / Spliced check pencil skirt
Robe midi / Drawstring / Kimono sleeve shirtdress / Wrap-waist / Minimalist shift / Drop-waist smocked dress
Cargo pants / Checked Wide-leg / Zip-hem / Boilersuit / Raw-edge corduroy / Ruffle-trim / Tapered / Nylon jogger pants / Pajama trousers
Elevated crew-neck / Cable tunic / Slouchy dress
Cape-collar shacket / Maxi puff / Shrunken duffel / Bespoke blazer / Cocoon overcoat / Cropped aviator / Midi anorak / Oversized trench coat / Wrap blazer
Interiors pajamas / Sketchy sleep tee / Lifewear cape / Graphic checked pajamas / Big T-Shirt and biker shorts
All credits: https://www.yesstyle.com/blog/2018-09-19/autumn-winter-2019-20-fashion-forecast-from-wgsn-trendspotting/